Tuesday, October 26, 2010

In the Eyes

I was at the gas station the other day. It was pretty busy. Cheapest gas in town. I was waiting in line and this lady decided she was going to cut me off. I didn't get mad, but she could have asked, I would have let her go in front of me. So I switched lines and looked her way to kinda make her feel bad, not sure it worked..my looks don't exactly scream "I cant believe you Lady, you are rude." I got up to the pump and was about to swipe my card. I heard a voice. A lady was standing next to me and she asked,"Do you have any cans or bottles?" I looked at her to answer and was almost speechless because..I knew this woman, but I wasn't sure from where. Her light piercing sky blue eyes were tattooed on my mind. I kept thinking, "where do I know her from?" But I answered her hesitantly and said," No, I dont." Which I really didn't. While pumping my gas I couldn't help but think about where I knew her from. I overheard her ask the lady at the pump next to me (the lady that cut in front of me) the same question, "Do you have any bottles or cans?" To which the lady replied, "Umm, Ya." The blue eyes lady told her she needed money for food. The lady proceeded to search her car and gave her three cans/bottles + $1.00. So kind, I thought. It was at that moment that I remembered, "I remember that blue eyed lady was at church a few weeks ago." I really did recognize her from somewhere! I turned around to see if she needed a ride somewhere..etc. She was gone. The rest of the day I couldn't help but think about how I lost an opportunity to serve a sister in the ward. I lost an opportunity to serve her when she was in need. I guess I have become so jaded with panhandlers on every corner here, that I just never know who to help and what they are going to use my hard earned money for and if they are really going to get food, or clothes for their family..etc. The painting below flashed in my mind and stuck with me the rest of the day because if the lady's piercing blue eyes (much like the Savior's). I reflected about how she is a child of God and what Christ would do to help and serve others. I still play that scene over in my mind and see this lady's piercing blue eyes and her cry for help and then the image in my head fades to this picture of the Savior. 
The very next person in need I decided I would help. As I was on my way to work I saw a man standing on the off ramp with a homeless-need food sign. I rolled down my window and gave him $1.00. I can only hope and pray that he used it to get a burger from McDonalds or some .39 cent tacos from Del Taco. Something..if he really was hungry and cold. I suppose we cannot help everyone, but when we feel that desire or even when the image of the Savior comes into our mind it is then that we are reminded to serve. And I hope I can always remember to serve others as Christ served.

1 comment:

The Fallan Family said...

What an interesting experience. Glad I could help you find what you were looking for.