Sunday, March 22, 2009

JTAYCL

I remember being on my mission and not only teaching the gospel to those that did not know about the truth, but also sharing with members the importance of opening their mouths and sharing the Gospel with their family and friends. There was this program in my mission for members that we called "JTAYCL" this means JUST TALK ABOUT YOUR CHURCH LIFE. Today in Gospel Doctrine, Evan and I are teaching lesson 11 "The Field is White Already to Harvest". As I was reading the purpose of this lesson and what we are to encourage the members to do I was brought back to my mission and the program JTAYCL. Finding every opportunity to talk about your church life. For example, If you were in a grocery store buying a ton of supplies for a ward activity or for mutual and the cashier makes a comment, "oh are you having a party?" instead of just saying yes, you can say," I am actually buying these treats for a church activity we are having on Saturday or we have a group for the young people in our church and its called mutual, its a time for the youth to get together and do activities." They may ask what church you go to or they may not but they may just be left thinking about what church you go to and the light in your eyes. Missionary work is so important! Often it is hard to open our mouths for fear of rejection or overbearance or any reason we can find to excuse ourselves. As I was reading the Lesson President Eyring told a story about how he worked with this very nice man who was not a member. President Eyring said," I might have been the only member that this man knew and after I had learned later that he and his wife had been killed in a late night drive, I felt sorrow for not sharing the gospel. He loved his family and would have wanted the chance to be with them forever." President Eyring goes on to say," I suppose that in the world to come I will meet him, that he will look into my eyes, and that I will see them in question, 'Hal, you knew. Why didnt you tell me?" What a profound question for each of us to ponder. We may be asked this question someday, but we dont have to be asked it, live the gospel and let your light shine. Share the gospel daily. It never has to be anything huge, but the simple testimony of a small principle of prayer, family, or Jesus Christ. Anyhoo...thats our excitement for today. Its going to be great to invite others to share the gospel and help them feel the joy of service. REMEMBER: "“Satan trembles, when he sees the weakest Saint upon his knees.”A man never stands taller than when he is upon his knees.Pray for opportunities to come and they will, but be ready for the opportunity!
oh and Happy Birthday MOM!! Love you!

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Thanks for this post! I always just talk to others as if everyone are members of The Church and speak so with confidence. I think too many people are too scared. Just act like it's a normal thing and that everyone is Mormon and then they'll stop and ask, "what's mutual", or "what do you do at the temple" and what not. And there you have opened the door. Anyway, you said it much better!

Katy said...

Girl! I didn't know you blogged. I've got to figure out how to add my favorite blogs and add yours. I love me some Pres. Eyring. He's da' BOMB.COM! We had the sista missionaries over the other night, and they reminded me that I need to be better, bolder. This was a great reminder. Love your buns tons!