Sunday, October 28, 2012

travels of Thelma & Louise

It was my turn to make the trek to Florida. I am so glad I didn't have to do it alone. My amazing MIL gave up so much! She flew from Hawaii to Los Angeles, only to sit in a car with me and the dogs for 4 days and for over 2,000 miles. She is such a great person! She even got us some pretty decent hotels to stay in. Especially in Louisiana. That was like a royal treat to stay in that hotel. She took good care of us.  
I-10 East thank you for being full of gas stations, restrooms, and food. 
States we drove through:
Arizona, New Mexico, Texas (so close to Mexico), Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida.
We made it! The drive definitely got greener as we got more east. But the restrooms seemed to get worse and more sketchy, which made for quick pee stops. 
We were packed pretty full with the rest of our stuff that I kept with me. Including the puppies. They probably had the hardest time..they didn't have much space to move, so all they did was sleep, but really how can you sleep 2,000 miles in a small cubicle. I felt bad for them, but they got pretty creative with trying to get comfortable. 
We didn't deviate from 10-E very much except when we wanted to go check out New Orleans, LA. We decided to just drive through the french quarters to say we were there. The buildings were so neat, old and antiqued. My sister, Jen, would've loved to photograph there. It was pretty busy so we just took our time looking around. It reminded me of a vintage Waikiki. Lots of stores and cute shops and lots of people. There were however some areas that had yet to be renovated from Hurricane Katrina in 2005, which made some areas look very run down and ghetto. 
{checking out the smells of New Orleans}
Our travel log:
Nuevo, CA to Tuscon, AZ
Tuscon, AZ to Fort Stockton, TX
Fort Stockton, TX to Lake Charles, LA
Lake Charles, LA to Gulf Breeze, FL
{Home Sweet Home}

1 comment:

The Fallan Family said...

Glad you made it safely :) Wish I could've made the crazy trip with you!