Its been a good week here in the islands, but we have gotten an awful lot of rain lately, no wonder its so green here, but not much sun and I know I know when I say its cold here, no one is going to believe me, but it gets chilly, I swear. But I love it, no complaining here =) BYU Hawaii's Mens bball team made it to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA II division. They were ranked 3rd in the nation, but after a sad loss tonite 59-58 to Cal Poly Pomona, they no longer stand in that ranking nor do they get to move on to the top 8. Sad Day. They were playing good they were always up and at one point had a 15 point lead. They just werent rebounding and their free -throws were off. Everyone was sorely disappointed watching another team cut the nets off in our own gym...but you win some you lose some I guess, they had it in their pocket and then just let it go. There was about 4200 fans cheering them on, the CAC was packed and the UNITY was powerful. Its so neat to be at an LDS university. Not only for the simple fact that most are members, but because of the support that we as a church family give to one another. Onto something else, its too sad to talk about that sad loss..ok so I wanted to see this movie called ,"Boy in the Striped Pajamas" its not an award winning film and wasnt in the movie theatre, but it was in one of the movie kiosk on campus so Evan rented it for me. The movie is based upon the book. It about the Holocaust and WWII. I know this is going to sound weird, really weird, but the Holocaust is my favorite part in history to learn about. Is that weird? I mean I know that the Jews were tortured and the Germans frankly didnt give a fly about them..you know the story I wont get into too much detail, but this movie was about a boy whos dad was a General during WWII. He facilitated and "was trying to make the world more peaceful" the family moved close to where a concentration camp was and the little 9 yr old boy, Bruno, in the film is an explorer. He only has a sister so he got bored often, but he noticed "the people with pajamas" and was under the impression that the camp he could see through his window was a farm and that the people on it were strange because they worked in their pajamas. Anyways long story short, this little boy goes behind his house and discovers how to get to the fences of the camp. He finds a little boy name Schlomo sitting at the fence taking a break from the labor at the camp. So everyday he brings the little boy food and they become from as they play across the fence. This boy had no clue what the camp was and didnt understand what was going on. He didnt care that the little boy was a Jew, he was happy to have a friend. I learned how much unconditional love that children have and what an example they are to us. No wonder why the Savior urges us to become like little children...So the movie ends with Bruno, bringing a shovel to dig a hole under the fence to help Schlomo find his dad. Schlomo snuck an extra pair of "pajamas"AKA clothes with the id number for Bruno and they went on their way looking for Schlomo's dad in all the bunkers everywhere. Brunos eyes were opened. He saw all these people starved and dying..he proceeds to ask, "can we go to the cafe, im hungry"....Schlomo and Bruno go in one of the bunkers and the soldiers come in and force everyone out, they take them to the gas chambers, Bruno just thought they were taking a shower. In the end Bruno dies holding Schlomos hand inside the gas chamber. He had no idea what was happening. They were both so scared. But that was the end. It was a very tender movie and really taught me the power of love and the need for peace in the world, to love is better than to hate, no matter who it may be.
Ok so this post is so long...but one last thing I wanted to say was I cooked my first Roast! Yes I did =) It turned out so good! Tender meat that just ripped on its own=) I was proud of myself. Thanks mom for some guidance! Well everyone thats it for now...until I think of something else to write about...peace out cuzzzzzzzzzz.
Before


After
1 comment:
Your roast looks absolutely DELICIOUS!! We did a roast last sunday (attempted is a better word for it.. did NOT turn out as scrumptous and juicy as yours looks to have gone... oh well, we'll do better next time I hope; I have to say, I kind of messed with it after Nate had gotten it all ready and cooking by adding more water then necess... so I DO blame myself in not letting the MAN take care of the meat cooking..) What a sad film. That would have had me bawling, I too have such a tender heart in learning more about the holocaust and all that both jews and germans went thru. We went and saw Valkiri (?spelling?), at the dollar theatre last weekend with some friends. It was pretty good. You'd enjoy that if you like learning about the Holocaust... Glad your enjoying the cooler weather there, I can remember EXACTLy how much colder it can get there, but your right, no one will believe it unless they experience it.. XOXO
Post a Comment