Monday, June 1, 2009

reflections on the day

I imagine that every Sunday, when 3 hours is spent at church, you would always come home edified and uplifted ready to start a new week; You plan to be better, more kind, and on the look out for opportunities to serve your fellow brodas and sistas. Sometimes you learn something new, you're are grateful for the Gospel, but dont spend enough time pondering because you are so starving by the time you get home that all you want to do is eat. Today thankfully, I ate lunch before going to church and found sour skittles left in my bag from the movies, I was set. I really enjoyed today. I finished up my Visiting Teaching, as I was given a new route, dont even know who my companion is, but knew that it was the last day of the month and I needed to make sure my sisters were doing okay. I love visiting my sisters and chatting and getting to know them. I love just being able to offer a helping hand and knowing that if they need anything that they know they can call upon me, its a good feeling. We went to a baptism today. One of Evan's high school friends was entering the waters of Baptism. I havent been to a baptism in a long while, it just doesnt happen that often at BYU.As we sat there listening to the prelude music, I couldnt help but become reflectant as I saw the missionaries. I remember when I was in that situation. When so much faith and time was put into preparing our investigator and new friend. I remember teaching and praying for our investigator hoping that they would read and pray and ask Heavenly Father to bless them to recognize the truth. I forgot how much my companion and I used to pray. We were praying machines! But who better to talk to then the one whom we are serving.I remember see the "light" in their eyes as people we taught were baptized. As their knowledge grew and as they were blessed and recognized that things didnt happen by chance, but that God was real and listening to them. I remember the joy when people accepted the Gospel and just "got it" and I also remember feeling sorrow when people "got it" but didnt want it, as they didnt want to make necessary changes in their lives. Im not sure I liked those days very much. As the baptism began the room was full. In Hawaii they always find a reason for a party, everything is a big deal to family and friends, and to add to that not only that everyone is related to everyone,there is just a large support group here. It was a neat experience when the newest baptized member stood up and said, "this is going to be a huge change for me, but I am ready to do it" I cant help but think about those words and pray for her. As her transformation may come easy but as life often happens, the disappointments and challenges come and some reason people find God to blame instead of turning to him for help, they turn away and think someone else can help them better. I love how such an event brings so much Joy. How such an event like baptism brings people to reflect upon the day they were baptized and the feelings that followed that moment when they were perfect as they came up from the water. Its neat to just be in one place and feel so edified and have the Spirit testify to you that what is happening this day is the true and right way by His authority. I feel blessed and grateful. I feel joy for our friend as she begins her journey. I cant imagine what my life would be like if I didnt know where I came from, why I am here and where I am going... I am truly grateful for Jesus Christ who made the whole Plan of Salvation possible. I thank my Father in Heaven for giving us so many chances to shape up and get it right....

2 comments:

Dial Family said...

I just love you to pieces!! YOu are such an amazing person as well as what a HUGE testimony you have!! I love hearing your thoughts.. I remember going to one baptism in our little ward the year I went there. It was really cool too becaus they did it in the ocean (true Hawaiian movie style). :) It is the best feeling when you get the opportunity to share the gospel with someone and they choose to accept it. The light that just emulates from them; its something you want to feel on a daily basis. It's true though, it's almost heart wrenching when you do share that piece of your life and they believe it but have a hard time accepting it, you almsot want to just shake them and scream, "DON"T YOU REALIZE WHAT YOUR FEELING?!!?!" We are ward missionaries and we have sister missionaries in our ward, thus I get to go and do splits at times with them. It was amazing because we went to this one sisters house and the spirit that was there was SO strong, it was such a testimony builder to me (if anything..). Thanks for your reflections girl!! Your the best!!

Brandon and Kim Waldron said...

Thank you for uplifting me today Darcy. I love you and miss you like crazy! THank you for bing such a great friend! :)