Monday, July 25, 2011

Girls Camp " A League of Our Own"

I had the chance to be a Camp Leader at Girls camp (youth age 12-17) this year in Big Bear, CA {same camp I went to when I was a youth}. It was my first time going as an adult leader and I had a great time. It was so chill and laid back for me. I enjoyed learning and feeling edified, whilst making sure my girls were engaged and having a good experience too. Because the theme was "A League of Our Own", each cabin was given a sports team to decorate their cabin. We were Water Polo. I think we did a great job and our cabin turned out fun and bright.
We had lots of speakers that spoke basically with the theme about being on a team, the Lord's team, and thigns we should be doing in our daily lives to make sure we are on His team. The girsl had fun Olympic games where they had to work together to win.
Girls using team work on the wood slats {left, right,left, right}
Our Cabin-team Water Polo
Arlington Heights Ward- at the Alpine Slides.
Arlington Heights girls Friday Night fun!
Arlington Heights leaders that were at camp

Time to pack up and head home. My helpers deflating my air mattress {the real way to camp..with an air mattress}
On the road home. Only 1 girl got sick coming down the mountain and puked..outside on the street..thankfully not in my car. These girls were wiped out.
There were many events at camp that allowed me to feel the Spirit and be thankful for my blessings and for the gospel. One of the events that becaome my favorite, happened at midnight. While everyone was suppose to be sleeping {not likely with a cabin full of girls}, I was up late with my girls braiding hair when we heard a knock on the cabin and voices saying, "He's coming, the Bridegroom has come, hurry!" We werent sure what it was all about but I woke up my girls that were sleeping and they were dazed and confused. We headed down to the lodge and there was beautiful music and a beautiful scene of the 10 virgins. For an hour we heard from the "5 foolish" and the "5 wise virgins" on how and why their lamp was either empty or full. They spoke about choices and things we all choose to do or not to do everyday that can either leave us prepared or unprepared. It was such a strong experience for me. I really enjoyed it and I know, even though it was late, the girls enjoyed it too.What a great experience! Such great fun! I'm on the Lord's team. Whose team are you on?

No comments: