Monday, August 24, 2009

Grandma Quon

I have known Grandma Quon for a little over a year now. I have only known her as who she is now and not what she was like before her brain aneurysm. And when I was dating Ev, I just always felt like she liked me and I love her for making me feel that way. So after spending the day with her yesterday, I wanted to write about her because she is just a very neat person with a very special spirit. My hubby tells me that she was very giving, loving of her grandchildren, but very strict and always made them do their math and reading.(Ev had the chance to spend a lot of time with his Grandparents. He spent time as a toddler while his parents were at work and then in elementary school, he spent most of his after school time there as well) She loved to travel, play cribbage (the game she used to help Ev learn how to count in his head without using his fingers), play mahjong, she enjoyed cooking and baking and made very good food, from what I hear she was pretty much the best! She still is able to do many of the things she enjoys, but because of her brain aneurysm she suffers from slurred speech and extreme muscular distrophy and isnt able to communicate as well. Knowing her now for who she is I think she is a pretty cool Grandma. Everytime we leave from her house or from dinner with her and the fam Ev always says "Bye Gramma, I love you" in this funny loud voice and nuzzles up to her and it just makes her laugh. He is always doing silly things to bug her and she just laughs or she whacks him when he comes near her, like he's being a bug..haha..I remember one time when Ev went to the door to get Grandma and she wasnt answering so he kept ringing to doorbell over and over. Finally she came to the door, opened it, saw that it was Ev and slammed it..haha..good times. Even though I dont live with Grandma Quon or necessarily have to take care of her now, I just think she is a great person and I love that I have a chance to get to know her, maybe not like how Ev or the rest of the fam knows her, but just get a feel for why he loves his Grandma so much.

2 comments:

nleavitt22 said...

Nice tribute to grandma. She IS an awesome person! One day you and Ev should go through the closet outside the bedrooms - there are a bunch of wedding photos of her and grandpa in a box. *tears*

Brittanie said...

oh we all love grandma Quon...even though i've never met her. lol She's always good for a fun story and laugh!