Tuesday, September 8, 2009
Saturday is a Special Day!
Ev and I were kinda whatever bout what we wanted to do Saturday. Evan wants to build his Mom a square foot garden so he had drawn up plans for those and we planned to get those supplies whenever we got into town. I was going to go SUP (stand up paddle boarding) but decided to move that activity to Monday. We drove into town (Honolulu) and decided to stop by The Byodo-In Temple at the Valley of the Temples. What is this? Well this temple was est June 7th, 1968 to commemorate the first Japanese immigrants to Hawaii. The Byodo-In Temple (translates "temple of equality"-not to discriminate) was built entirely without nails. It is a scale replica of a temple at Uji Japan that was constructed over 900 years ago. The temple is built to represent the mythical phoenix, its wings upheld by pillars of stone. Folklore tells of the phoenix arising from the ahses to reflect the promises of hope and renewal. There was also a golden Budda unique to the entire world because it is thought to be the largestfigure carved since ancient times. I wanted to check it out because it seemed like a neat place to go. It was indeed very peaceful. The grounds were beautiful. There wasnt too much to see except for the temple itself, the bell, and the giant Koi fish, but we had a relaxing time just walking around looking at the architecture, and the beauty of the replica temple. We also made a trip to Home depot to get supplies to make a square foot garden. I remember going with my dad to home depot so many times, it was never a fun store for me, I was always like how boring. I think my dad's car was on auto pilot it had been there so many times, to every home depot. The only thing I remember liking about home depot was the light section. It was just "pretty" to me growing up. Just walking into Home Depot reminds me of my Dad, the smell of the wood and the plumbing section. I like it now that I am older. There are so many things you can design. I love looking at the pre-made kitchens and I have started to put money away as a form of wishful thinking so that someday I can have a cool kitchen. So after Ev and I got all the wood and supplies we needed, I got to go to the light department it was my favorite part of the trip to home depot. We spent some time with the parentals and had a good evening. When we were almost home, we started to play this game where the next song that came on the radio we had to see who knew more of the actual lyrics instead of ," hmm yaya..etc" we so often place our own words or just sing the chorus, it was hilarious. We were laughing so hard. It was a fun game and one I think we will keep playing. We had a great day in town together and our fun game just added to our laughter and fun.











Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
you guys sure are a couple of busy bees. IT seems i have to keep up with checking blogs on a daily basis (UGH!!! YOu are so good at this...). I love reading your inserts though. YOu are such a great journal writer!! (BTW: I too love Home Depot. I love taking Nate esp and getting him to buy wood so he can make me something; doesn't happen too often, but I still love going and esp checking out their lights... right there with ya on that one girlfriend!!)
Post a Comment