Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The things we think we know, but dont really know

Evan has been preparing to apply for graduate school. He has really stepped it up and taken on large loads of classes these next two semesters, which include all of his prerequisite classes and classes he needs to graduate. I am so proud of him, I really am and I know I put a alot of pressure on him to get good grades and do well, but I do it because I love him and I know that he can excel in so many things. Well as I was looking over some of the pre-requisites on Saturday, I realized that he was missing one class in his schedule. So I told Ev, "you may have to take another class, in fact, I am almost positive you have to." He says,"Ok.." In my head Im thinking "ok?" thats it..thats all I get? I guess I was expecting a different answer. I was more or less expecting him to get up and solve the problem right then and there. But instead he said, "ok" because he would take care of it on Monday. I know this sounds anal retentive or obessive compulsive but for some reason in my family when we have an idea or thought (ie: the floor needs to be vacuumed) we have a hard time letting the thought pass until we complete the task. I think there has to be some kind of disorder for that (Michelle--you're the Psychology Master?any ideas?). Anyways, even though Ev said he would take care of the stuff with his classes I worried. I worried that it all wouldnt fit in and that things wouldnt go how we planned..etc then I get myself all worked up and feel like I need to go exercise or take a nap to clear my mind. I am a super worry wart-even as chill and calm and easy going as I am sometimes I think I am crazy. I really have always understood the principle of faith and the power that comes with believing that everything will just work itself out, that God lives, that Jesus is the Christ and that when we turn our life to them and receive guidance through prayer that we really will be guided and directed as we make choices. But sometimes I drive myself crazy when I cant control the situtation. Going back to the story about Ev's classes. I wanted an immediate resolution. I wanted the classes to be added and everything situated so that I knew what to work on next and that it would all work out. I learned I had to wait.
As I prepared for church yesterday I watched a BYU devotional by Cecil Samuelson titled, "Our Future." In his talk there were a few principles I found extraordinary. It was like I was hearing them for the first time in my life.
1. Ray Evans composed- Doris Day sang it too- this is the chorus:
Que Sera, Sera, Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours, to see
Que Sera, Sera What will be, will be.
Cecil Samuelson states," There is significant truth in the notion that much of what happens to us is not in our control or is it always expected, but the things of greatest ultimate importance to us are largely in our control and are within the scope of our agency. There are the unfair occurances like cancer or other selfish acts, natural disasters, doing everything right just happen to be in the wrong place..Life is not fair or equal.Things rarely turn out how we would like, predict or desire--Life is full of great surprises both happy and sad."
2. Things we have control of that are of the greatest importance:
-RELATIONSHIPS:
Starting with our Heavenly Father and his Son Jesus Christ-know and always remember that we are his children.
Our families: Dont forget them. Love & Honor themeven in their imperfections and deficiencies. Love others.
Self: Be honest with yourself. Including your failings, mistakes and deficiencies. Remember who you are. You wont have success in any other relationships if you dont have a healthy sense of who you are.
-COVENANTS:
Keeping them is arduous and demanding but you will be blessed for enduring. Make and keep covenants
-COMMITMENTS: Now & future
Make your work your own and fulfil your responsibilities.

Elder Samuelson adds his own verse to Que Sera Sera:
Now that I've grown older the futures more clear to me, Some things I cant predict or control, but I can become what I need to be.

After my happenings on Saturday of wanting to make things work instead of just letting them work as they are suppose to, after we did all we could, I am more appreciative of a patient husband that understands this and loves me even though "when I have to vacuum the floor, it cant wait, I have to vacuum the floor". I learned more about myself than anything and was really reprimanded by the Lord through Elder Samuelson's talk, but it was good because it was exactly what I needed to hear. So I say to a lesson needed to be learned:
Que Sera, Sera, Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours, to see
Que Sera, Sera What will be, will be.

No comments: