I had the privilege of attending an Autism Movement Therapy workshop this past weekend in Los Angeles, CA. I had made contact with the founder and was trying to find out ways I could get involved with kiddos with Autism and Exercise. She mentioned that they were having a workshop but that it would be $750. I got excited then immediately discouraged because we definitely didn't have that kind of money to just hand over, even if it was something I was interested in. Long story short I was able to get a scholarship to attend the workshop and I am so thankful I had such an opportunity. Joanne Lara, founder and president, did such an amazing job! I learned so much about the brain and the need for cognitive re-mapping with these kiddos and how much music and dance can help bridge the left and right hemispheres of the brain allowing for these kiddos to wake up the brain and use their "whole brain". I am not a dancer by any means but this type of dance/aerobics was right up my alley. I learned so much about the meaning of patterns, shapes, and sequences in dancing that I never thought made a difference, but really the music we listen to and the way we move our body uses the "whole brain". It was fascinating! I wanted to just pick her brain. I became Autism Movement Therapy Certified so now I can teach everything I learned to my kiddos I work with as well to the community. I am hoping to have the opportunity to share this with those I know or those who have kiddos with Autism. Because how often do we see the special kiddos off on the side of activities and not involved with the dance class/sport their parent signs them up to do? I had such a great experience! Autism is diagnosed in 1 and every 91 kids. Every 20 minutes a kid in California is diagnosed with Autism. It is a Pandemic.I am glad I can help. I am happy to keep learning so that I can help!
2 comments:
This is so cool! My sister used to teach in a special needs transitional kindergarten and had some autistic students. I would volunteer in her classroom and was AMAZED at how much you could do with music and how much it helped. I can't imagine what combining physical movement would do. What a great thing for you to be involved in! Good luck!
Wow! That is so awesome Darcy. I'm so happy for you that you got the scholarship to go. So lucky. I bet it was amazing. How are things in Cali? How are you liking your kiddos?
Post a Comment