Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Choices

Lately, for some reason, my mind has been pondering choices. Whether its all the political mumbo jumbo going on, the negative news on the tv, the poor economy, the homeless beggar I see in the same spot everyday from 7am-5pm expecting money from people, people losing their jobs, their families, people dying..its unfortunate our world is the way it is because I think Adam & Eve enjoyed much more serenity than our world would like us to..this has led me to ponder choices.We make them everyday. Often times we {I} choose to hit snooze on the alarm {once,twice, maybe 3 times} to get just 5-10 more minutes of sleep and snuggle time. This choice then results in a very quick shower, a lnon thorough tooth brushing, a very last minute breakfast and a very crazy non-speed limit drive to work, just to get there on time. Why does this happen every morning?!?! I choose to let it happen! If I would go to bed a little earlier and have the know how to get my butt out of bed the first time, my morning might be less chaotic. But really back to choices. The action that lead us in the right way or the wrong way. The best or better path or the mediocre path. Or sadness.


President James E. Faust said it best," The choices we make, however, determine to a large extent our happiness or our unhappiness, because we have to live with the consequences of our choices. Making perfect choices all of the time is not possible. It just doesn’t happen. But it is possible to make good choices we can live with and grow from. When God’s children live worthy of divine guidance they can become “free forever, knowing good from evil; to act for themselves and not to be acted upon."
     Unfortunately, some of our poor choices are irreversible, but many are not. Often we can change course and get back on the right track. Getting back on the right track may involve the principles of repentance: first, recognizing the error of our ways; second, forsaking the wrongful conduct; third, never repeating it; and, fourth, confessing and making restitution where possible. Learning by experience has value, but the “school of hard knocks” is deserving of its name. Some choices present good opportunities no matter which road we take—for example, when deciding which career path to follow or which school to attend.
     Some of our important choices have a time line. If we delay a decision, the opportunity is gone forever. Sometimes our doubts keep us from making a choice that involves change. Thus an opportunity may be missed. As someone once said, “When you have to make a choice and don’t make it, that in itself is a choice."
     As we look into the future, we are going to need to be stronger and more responsible for our choices in a world where people “call evil good, and good evil.” We do not choose wisely if we use our agency in opposition to God’s will or to priesthood counsel. Tomorrow’s blessings and opportunities depend on the choices we make today."

I think about what causes some to make the decisions they make. Like what went wrong? Did they have a mental breakdown? Did a traumatic event act as a trigger? {maybe I just watch too much Criminal Minds!} It gives me a little anxiety to try and figure out what people were thinking before they made a certain decision. Not that I really want to know, but I do find it interesting. The mind is an amazing powerful tool we have, but it can also be WWIII inside our heads sometimes as well-a battle between good and evil.

I always want to stay close to my Father in Heaven so I can feel the distinction between the right and wrong. I dont ever want to be that far away from the Spirit that I feel alone and unable to make good decisions. I hope you do to.

1 comment:

THE GROWS said...

amen sista! I love that quote