Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Funeral #1

It took me a little bit to warm up to being in the room with grandpa {in a casket} and him not greeting me or making some kind of joke. I sat down at the furthest chair from his casket. My eyes would wander in his direction but then my eyes would start to tear up and I knew my nose was starting to turn red {Ballantyne red nose crying syndrome}. I just sat and took it all in and tried to think of my many memories and Grandpa's joy. When Rubi got there, she immediately wanted to know what was up with the guy in the casket. So I went with her. She was so inquisitive. I love how little kids respond at funerals. They dont cry, they dont mourn because they dont fully understand, yet I think they do understand. They are much closer to the Spirit & to heaven, which is why they just look and move on. They know that everything is okay. The services were nice. Grandpa Ballantyne's long and prosperous life was honored in many ways. 
Flowers from all Grandpa's 6 kids.
Flowers from all Grandpa's 26 grandchildren.
Flowers from all Grandpa's 46 great grandchildren {with 2 on the way}
His grandsons in attendance were his Pallbearers.
Many were there to celebrate his life.
Coordinating Cousins.
When we attend a wedding we are joyful, however when we attend a funeral we feel sorrow. This funeral I felt both. I was sad that Grandpa Ballantyne's presence no longer was on the earth, but I was joyful that he and Grandma B could together again, never to be separated again. I wonder what their first words to each other were? I wonder how their first hug felt? I am grateful for this knowledge of life after death. It makes death bittersweet.
 Grandpa's Burial took place Monday September 17th, 2012 at Riverside National Cemetery.
Corey, Mom & I rushed from Grandpa Repucci's funeral to make it just on time to Grandpa Ballantyne's burial.

1 comment:

Katy said...

I have not brought myself to write about this yet, but I should while it's fresh in my mind. Thanks for reminding me. I loved seeing you.