Thursday, September 1, 2011

One life teaches on earth, then in heaven

On my date with Chelsea Innes yesterday, she got a call from her sister telling her about a girl, Vanessa Bentley, in their stake in Tucson, AZ. She was serving her mission in New York and she was killed in a car accident. I decided to look up the event and see what the news had to say about what happened. I found out that she had been on her mission for 13 months. After reading many of the articles about her accident, I couldn't helped but be so sad and emotionally connected to a sister missionary that was serving a mission. I remember on my mission talking and learning of Heavenly Father's plan and saying that if I were to be called home early to my Father in Heaven, I would want it to be on my mission because I was in such a great place in my life. What an amazingly hard trial to bear for both the Bentley family and Sister Natalie Love, her companion. I am reminded of the following quote:

When suffering, we may in fact be nearer to God than we've ever been in our entire lives. That knowledge can turn every such situation into a "would be temple". Regarding our earthly journey the Lord has promised, I will go before your face, I will be on your right hand and on your left, my Spirit shall be in your hearts and mine angels round about you to bear you up. That is an everlasting declaration of God's love and care for us. Including and perhaps especially in times of trouble.
 --Jeffery R. Holland

As I was talking to Evan about this accident and its details, I couldn't help but wonder what I am suppose to learn. Am I suppose to learn/be reminded that life is fragile, time in this life passes so quickly, so don't take it for granted? Am I suppose to learn/be reminded to be a safer driver? Am I suppose to learn/be reminded that accidents can and do happen? Am I suppose to learn/be reminded that we must not procrastinate the day of repentance? Am I suppose to learn/be reminded to be spiritually prepared and ready? Or am I suppose to learn/be reminded that God is real; That the Holy Ghost is real; That the Atonement of Jesus Christ is real? I think I can learn all of the above. Especially that God has a plan.

And may I say for the consolation of those who mourn, and for the comfort and guidance of all of us, that no righteous man is ever taken before his time. In the case of the faithful Saints, they are simply transferred to other fields of labor. --President Joseph Fielding Smith

In one of the articles online, there was a place to put comments. There were a couple comments put into words exactly what I was thinking:

 I know Sister Bentley is now surrounded by loved ones and that her "mantle" of authority to preach the Gospel and serve will continue among those in the Spirit World who long for salvation. I pray you will receive the Lord's confirmation that your daughter is loved and now protected in an environment of total love.

She was needed in another place to continue her teachings of the Savior..
 
As I read this I felt sad that she wasn't able to complete her mission, yet she really will and do it with Heavenly Father. It's always sad when a tragic incident like this takes an innocent life. All I can think of is...that Heavenly Father must have really had a need for her there.
 
It may not be on the mountain's height, or over the stormy sea.
It may not be at the battle's front, My Lord will have need of me.
...But, if, by a stiil small voice, he calls, to paths that I do not know,
I'll answer, Dear Lord, With my hand in thine, I'll go where you want me to go.
 
My love and condolences to Sister Bentley's family, her friends, and her dear companion who is surely living a gut-wrenching nightmare. An extra measure of compassion must be poured out upon Sister Love, who certainly never intended for this to happen when she made that left turn. Sister Bentley died in the service of her fellow-man and God. No greater love has anyone than this. Good work Sister Bentley, time for a new calling.
 
As someone that served a mission, I feel that her Dad said it best when he said,  "Her mission president told us that she was a great missionary — humble, obedient and hard-working," he said. "She did everything she was asked to do, willingly. We just have to assume that Heavenly Father was in charge of this last transfer."
 
Before embarking on any journey, we like to have some assurance of a round-trip ticket. Returning from earth to life in our heavenly home requires passage through—and not around—the doors of death. We were born to die, and we die to live. (See 2 Cor. 6:9.) As seedlings of God, we barely blossom on earth; we fully flower in heaven.
 
 I didn't know Vanessa Bentley personally, her story and life has touched mine. But as sisters in the gospel, we share the same love of our Savior Jesus Christ and of our Father in Heaven and His eternal plan, we share the love to serve others, and we share the wrestle of deciding whether to serve a mission. The field is white already to harvest Sister Bentley! Keep on keeping it on. You are indeed doing a great work!

No comments:

Blog Archive