I have a member that comes into my health center that is 77 years old. His famous words are, "Let me tell you a story.." Of course I am not going to say, "No!" So I just sit and listen. Yesterday he was telling me about how weak he has become since he was in his younger years. And the story goes like this: He was working at a Ranch doing all the clean up and feeding and such. One of the Animal Docs wanted him to work with him because he was bilingual. So one day he was driving around with the doctor in this big truck. The doctor stopped and got out to make a visit and he decided he wanted to get into the drivers seat and try to drive {note: he was intoxicated??} Well instead of going forward he went in reverse and hit a pitchfork flattening the tire. He hurried back into the passenger seat and the doctor came out and asked what happened. He put on an act as if he had no idea what the Doc was talking about and was shocked to see a pitchfork in the tire. Well the Doc was unable to get the jack underneath the car so my member said he got out of the car, walked over and just lifted up the truck! He said I didn't even know I could lift up a truck. I used to be so strong...the story goes on but I dont want to document it for boredom sake. All yesterday I tried to ponder what I got from his story. What I got from it was that we are stronger than we think we are. We all have weaknesses and we experience trials in our life that drain us and make us feel weak. But really things we endure and experience can make us strong. I love this scripture from the Book of Mormon:
Ether 12:27
And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.
Our Heavenly Father and Savior will make us strong when we are weak. Often times its the things we feel are draining our strength that develop our strength and in turn make us stronger.
When my member told me how weak he has become since his younger years, I knew it wasn't completely because he is now a young 77 and not 19, its because he failed to maintain his strength through exercise and taking care of himself. I wonder if I could apply that to myself. When I am feeling weak, is it because I have failed to pray often? Or failed to study my scriptures consistently? Have I failed to serve others? Or have I failed to "Come Unto Him" as the scripture(s) state? Whatever it may be--I know that I can become strong especially when I need it most.

1 comment:
So true.. The Lord can always give us the strength we need to get through our trials. What a funny old guy!
Post a Comment