Monday, April 27, 2009

Powerful.Prayer.and.Pray.With.Power

I love the words and analogy of Elder Neal A. Maxwell of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. First let me define a tumbler-The part in a lock that releases the bolt when moved by a key- Ok, now you are ready. He explained the role of prayer like this: “Petitioning in prayer has taught me, again and again, that the vault of heaven with all its blessings is to be opened only by a combination lock(think about a locker lock or a bike lock) One tumbler falls when there is faith; a second when there is personal righteousness; the third and final tumbler falls only when what is sought is, in God’s judgment—not ours—right for us. Sometimes we pound on the vault door for something we want very much and wonder why the door does not open. We would be very spoiled children if that vault door opened any more easily than it does. I can tell, looking back, that God truly loves me by inventorying the petitions He has refused to grant me. Our rejected petitions tell us much about ourselves but also much about our flawless Father.”
Our talk in Sacrament meeting was on Powerful Prayer(strength in numbers, fasting, deep..etc) and then a twist on that, Praying with Power(faith, hope, charity, willingness, Thy Will Be Done..etc) Its such an AWE-INSPIRING act of faith we take to petition with the Lord. To know that a loving Heavenly Father and Brother Jesus Christ are listening and wanting so very much to help, to make everything okay...I am indeed grateful for my testimony of Prayer and that when we pray with power and are a powerful prayer we will be heard and answers will come. What are your insights?

1 comment:

Katy said...

Your post brought a tear to my eye. I'm so lucky to be your cousin. I'm waiting for your clip order! You need a big flwer, Hawaii girl!