Monday, October 26, 2009

Being Prepared

With all the natural disasters happening so close to us on the island, I kept thinking,"We really need to get our 72 hour kits.." then the countless earthquakes that hit Samoa again and again,tsunami warnings, the typhoon in the Phillipines and Indonesia and then the Category 2 Hurricane warning. We were fortunate to have everything just either miss us or go around us or just gets small effects of it on our island. So I really felt like Heavenly Father was testing my obedience. Very much like he did with Abraham. So that weekend we went to Wal-mart and got some of the stuff we needed. It was crazy to think of everything you could possibly need for 3 days. I got stuff like beef jerky, flash lights, ponchos, lighter, fire starters, threw canned goods we had like tuna, corn, clam chowder, beans, and the blonde did not even forget the can opener =) I remembered. I packed us warm clothes, a change of clothes, granola bars, peanut butter, first aid kits, extra batteries and water. Now I dont know that anything will happen where I will need all this stuff but it will sit in those back packs for the next 6 months, if we move, and if we dont we will rotate and improve our kits. But I just know I was feeling prompted to get these kits together and I didnt want to know what would happen if I didnt follow the prompting so I am so glad I did and that we have them now! "..if ye are prepared ye shall not fear". (Doctrine and Covenants 38:30)

Our 72-hour kits::