I record these natural disasters as a memory for me and my posterity--
Death toll 169 as of today::-138 Samoa
-31 American Samoa
"Words written by reporters from Hawaii that flew to Samoa,"The village of Leone was hit really hard. Driving through at night was a sobering. Houses are swept off their foundations, or completely destroyed. People closest to the water lost everything that was in their homes, nothing can be salvaged. Their primary concern was to save their loved ones, and they didn't have time to collect valuables between the time of the earthquake and tsunami. There was no time to officially warn them of the hazard. Cars, vans and trucks were tossed around like toys. Public works employees were down in Leone helping to clean up this morning. That was a good thing to see, but the devastation and loss is very real. We've spoken to people who tried to save others and weren't successful. Others were.The interview that stands out in my mind from this morning was with a man who saved 4 people from the wave. He got slammed into a pillar while trying to save his wife, breaking three ribs. Two elderly ladies were swept near him as well, all three of them were hanging onto him as the wave washed through. He got them to safety and soon thereafter a 12 year old girl was swept near him as well. He saved her too. Stories of everyday heroes. And, stories of heart-breaking loss. One man told us his auntie was driving her truck when the wave came through in Pagopago, her truck filled with water and she drowned. The people here have experienced terrible losses. This is a very sad time. "
It makes me sad to see the suffering of the families of those that were lost and lost their homes. I remember when our house caught fire April 8th, 1998. Even though I wasn't there when the fire happened I saw the aftermath. The burn smell is familiar and the fear of losing family are feelings still so real. I remember after moving back into our newly remodeled and rebuilt home I used to think, "if a fire were to ever happen again what would I take, what would be the most important thing to grab??"I watched the news about the disaster relief groups recovering children from a school. I saw the images of the people surrounding the recovered body wrapped in a sarong.The fear and sorrow in their faces is indescribable. The thoughts that went through my mind were,"most of those people are probably wondering if that was their child. What a scary feeling. To wonder where your lost child is in all the mess of the disaster." I am not a mum yet, but I am an auntie and a sister and a daughter and a wifey and I truly cant grasp the feelings that they must be feeling, but I can imagine losing someone I love very dearly.
Phillipines suffer from typhoon fengshen. Miserable, terrible, horrible, unexplainable flooding; such a disaster.
Death toll: 1100 and counting
I dont know too much about this natural disaster, all I know is the photos I have seen. They are very saddening. Water is at unimaginable heights. People drowning. No homes.
I pray that their faith will be waxed strong, that their sadness might be lessened, and that they might find joy or relief in small things.
2 comments:
one of the missionaries serving in my ward is from Somoa. we were all so worried about his family. the elder got a hold of his family somehow and they were able to make it to higher ground in time but their town is completely destroyed. so sad. and one of my mom's students from last year lost and aunt and a cousin.
Its extremely sad. I am one of the few palagi's (whitey's) in my ward so they are all pretty devastated.
Post a Comment