Sunday, November 8, 2009

Saturday was a very Special Day!

Ev and I started out the day both working and then got ready to go into town. Today was a special day for us because we were going into town to visit Grandpa Quon at the cemetery. In all my time living here and being with Evan's family I had always driven past and known the cemetery as"that's where Grandpa is buried." I wasnt excited because cemetery's are the happiest place on earth, but more so because I finally could "meet Grandpa". I notice very quickly that on his headstone there were three small baby oranges. I couldn't help and be simple minded and ask," who would put oranges on a grave? they are just going to rot." Evan explained to me that in the Chinese culture, they have many rituals. One of the rituals is to put food/drink on the grave. Its considered an offering to the Spirits. By putting oranges, or any fruit and/or food and drinks in the "other" realm, they will take it, and use it to relieve their "hunger." I looked around and saw fruit, drinks, pumpkins..I thought to myself all I have ever brought to my Dad's grave was flowers, maybe he'd like some Dr.Pepper one of these days. haha..I took one of Grandpa Quon's flowers and put it on the grave next to him,Mr. Nakamura, because thats what I always do when I put flowers on Daddy Matthews grave, we always remember to put flowers on Clarence's headstone. It was a beautiful day especially to sit and be reminded of those we love. November 7th is Grandma and Grandpa Quon's Anniversary, it would have been 68 years today. Grandpa Quon passed away 2 days shy of their 57th Wedding Anniversary. When I was being told about the series of events that surrounded Grandpa's passing away, I was told that Grandpa was on a breathing machine in Saint Frances Hospital and the family had dinner reservations for November 7th (to celebrate their anniversary) at Kincaid's (Fish, Chop & Steakhouse), one of Grandpa's favorite restaurants that has a nice view of the Honolulu Harbor. Well last night, Evan, Mom, Dad, Auntie Chicky, Uncle Jonathon, Dems, and of course Grandma Quon, went to the same restaurant, Kincaids, that they had reservations for 11 years ago and set a place at the table for Grandpa Quon. It was a good day, a special day!