Friday, January 8, 2010

I had a busy week with my new job and its been such a good experience. I really enjoy it. I had an experience this week that got me thinking. One of my kiddos with autism is 4 years old. We went for a walk to the park with his Mom so that we could practice his safety behavior and social interaction. He was playing well and having fun. A little haole boi came to the park and started playing. Me and my kiddo were playing and then my kiddo saw the little boi playing and went over to him to join him on this little animal bouncer. Well the little boi was like,"No, get off, I dont want you to play with me." But my kiddo didnt understand so I had to intervene and have him ask to play, but the little boi still said,"No!" Such a rude little boi. Then my kiddo saw the a toy on the ground that the little boi brought and thought it was cool so he started looking at it. Well the little boi was like,"Dont touch! thats mine!" I cant believe how unkind this little boi was to my kiddo. The little boi's sister came with her little car toy and my kiddo thought it was so cool. He tried to push the little girl and she was getting mad. So I stepped in and tried to get the kiddos to play tag together. The little boi started pushing his sister and running in a circle on the playground, well my kiddo thought it was so fun and he was laughing and having such a good time however the little boi was yelling at him telling him to leave them alone and go away and that they didnt want to play with him...etc. We tried so hard to get the kids to play, but they were so rude. It made me so sad. So sad for my kiddo. My heart went out to him and his Mom, who deals with this type of situation alot. Even though my kiddo probably wont remember how mean the kids at the park were to him, I will. I know that when we have my our own kids, we will teach them and educate them to be nice to all kids no matter what color they are, no matter what they look, and no matter what..I know I understand and respect that principle because my Mom always taught us to accept all people no matter if they were different, handicapped, of a different race, no matter who they were. I truly appreciate my Mom for teaching me such an important principle.

2 comments:

James and Traci said...

That makes my heart go out to that little one! I have an autistic 4 year old in my primary class and so far the other kids have been really good to her. That makes up for the mean kids!

Stubbs Love said...

I am so glad Traci that your kiddos are nice to her! I hope they stay that way..

Blog Archive