Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Spirit speaks

I prayed and gave thanks for the things I am most grateful for in my life at this time. I didnt ask for anything, I simply thanked Heavenly Father for blessing me so immensely. I then said Amen in His Name, Jesus Christ. I laid down and felt good ready for bed. Then this thought came to my mind. "Exercise and Autism" I didnt know what it meant..it was pretty random, but I tried to go back to sleep and I couldnt sleep, hence why I am up writing this now. I opened up the computer and searched "exercise with autism" and came across great results.

One of the most under-utilized yet effective treatments for autistic individuals is exercise. Obviously, exercise is important for everyone especially for those with autism. Several research studies have shown that vigorous or strenuous exercise is often associated with decreases in stereotypic (self-stimulatory) behaviors, hyperactivity, aggression, self-injury, and destructiveness.

Now knowing that I didnt get into grad school like I had planned, I have been seeking for direction. I just really didnt know what I was suppose to be doing now. I felt like I know I got my degree for a reason and went on listing and researching all the options that I had with my degree, Exercise Science. My job is working with children with autism and I just really love it! To see one of my kiddos read or one of my kiddos speak a sentence on his own that he didnt mimic is precious to me! I love it! I cant say that getting hangers, nerf guns, train blocks chucked at my head and getting socked is my favorite part, but it is indeed part of the job and when those kiddos are happy to see me I will be even more grateful for my job! Its neat, nothing that I have ever done before. So I am not sure at this point what direction my career/education path is headed, but I can tell you that I am willing to listen to when the Spirit speaks and know that its something I need to hear.

Blog Archive