Sunday, August 22, 2010

Speaking in Church

So Evan and I were asked to speak in church today, but not in our ward (congregation) but in the American Sign Language branch. I wasn't sure what to expect. I knew someone would be translating for us, but I guess I just didn't know how it would be. I can say this. It was quiet. I could hear kids laughing and screaming every so often, but I suppose that was okay because no one else could hear them. The music..well there was none.Per se. The chorister signed the words and the congregation signed along (we sang out loud--acapella--except for the last song; I didn't quite know the tune so I decided to try and sign the song by watching the chorister haha). It was a really cool experience. What I loved most about it was that you could feel the Spirit so strong. It became very clear to me that the Spirit of God dwells where it feels invited. It doesn't matter what language is spoken, whether there are actual words even spoken (ASL). Truth is truth. And the Spirit is the testifier of truth. I am grateful for this experience I was able to have to learn this important message and learn the language of the Spirit.

"Proficiency in the language of the Spirit permits one to breach barriers, overcome obstacles, and touch the human heart.Rarely does the Spirit communicate by flashing sign or loud voice; rather, the language of the Spirit is gentle, quiet, and uplifting to the heart."

1 comment:

Kristin said...

what a cool experience